[DOCUWALLAHS2] DOCU: Documentary traces 105-year journey of ‘Sandesh’
Frederick [FN] Noronha * फ्रेडरिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا fredericknoronha@gmail.com [docuwallahs2]
2018-07-21 16:52:36 UTC
TOI <https://m.timesofindia.com/>

- TOP NEWS <https://m.timesofindia.com/>
- VIDEOS <https://m.timesofindia.com/videos>
- LIVE TV <https://m.timesofindia.com/livetv.cms>
- CITY NEWS <https://m.timesofindia.com/city>
- TIMES TOP 10 <https://m.timesofindia.com/timestopten.cms>

- CITY <https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolkata>

Documentary traces 105-year journey of ‘Sandesh’
Dipawali Mitra | TNN | Jul 21, 2018, 10:10 IST
TNNSoumyakanti Dutta (in yellow) and the team with Sandip Ray

KOLKATA: A 59-minute documentary on magazine ‘Sandesh’ — titled ‘Sandesh
100’ — will be screened in the Satyajit Ray auditorium at ICCR on July 21.
Eighteen-year-old photographer-filmmaker Soumyakanti Dutta said the idea
for making the film was conceived in March 2017, at an exhibition at ICCR
to celebrate 50 years of Feluda. However, the journey hasn’t been smooth.

“We were present at the ‘Sandesh’ stall and a number of people visited with
queries about the original illustrations by Satyajit Ray and stories by
Leela Majumdar <https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/Leela-Majumdar>

and Nalini Das. We had to tell them that ‘Sandesh’ has no archive. That’s
when this idea struck me. I thought a documentary will help the future
generation to know about the illustrious legacy of a 105-year-old magazine
which was an integral part of Bengali childhood,” Dutta said.

[image: sandesh]

The team of six students started shooting in July 2017 and wanted the film
to be screened in December 2017. But financial constraints hit the project.
They approached several Tollywood producers for funds to complete the
postproduction, but were turned back. Dutta said, “We had a written
approval from
Sandip Ray <https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/Sandip-Ray>

, but it was of no use. The producers were either not interested or gave us
certain clauses which were difficult for us to follow.” But Dutta and his
team received full support from Ray, the magazine’s present editor.
Eventually, Ray and other members of ‘Sandesh’, along with Dutta’s team
mates, pooled in their own money. Later, Dutta launched a crowdfunding
campaign to complete the film.

“‘Sandesh 100’ has original illustrations by Satyajit Ray, along with
interviews of authors like
Buddhadeb Guha <https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/Buddhadeb-Guha>

and
Nabaneeta Dev Sen <https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/Nabaneeta-Dev-Sen>

, filmmakers
Anik Dutta <https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/Anik-Dutta>

and Soukarya Ghosal and actors like Saswata Chatterjee and Chiranjit. The
latter was perhaps the only actor who designed a cover for ‘Sandesh’ when
he was just 18. There are interviews of employees who worked at ‘Sandesh’
during Satyajit Ray’s time and still work there. They have shared their
experience and anecdotes with us,” Dutta added.

Actor Sabyasachi Chakraborty has done the voice-over for the documentary.
“What I found fascinating was a group of young minds interested in doing a
documentary on a literary magazine which was very popular at a certain
period of time, but which people hardly know is still in circulation,”
Chakraborty said.

The actor, who played the sleuth on screen, shared that his collection of
‘Sandesh’ helped him when he prepared for the role.

Author Shirshendu Mukherjee said the iconic periodical captured the
imagination of both children and adults alike with its illustrations,
sketches, comics and short stories.

ADD COMMENT <http://m.timesofindia.com/articleshow_comments/65078185.cms>
Download Newspoint App <https://go.onelink.me/csau/efed80dd> and read
breaking news & headlines. Get the latest news updates & headlines
daily on Times
of India App
<https://timesofindia.onelink.me/efRt/asendgetapp&utm_campaign=end-of-story-widget&utm_medium=articleshow&utm_source=mweb>
..
RELATED STORIES

- Nabaneeta Dev Sen to be honoured with D.Litt
<https://m.timesofindia.com/life-style/books/features/nabaneeta-dev-sen-to-be-honoured-with-d-litt/amp_articleshow/63958929.cms>
- Dhritiman Chatterjee is thankful to Sandip Ray for giving him the role
of Professor Shonku
<https://m.timesofindia.com/entertainment/bengali/movies/news/dhritiman-chatterjee-is-thankful-to-sandip-ray-for-giving-him-the-role-of-professor-shonku/amp_articleshow/64885428.cms>
- Rabindra Bharati University confers D.Litt to three
<https://m.timesofindia.com/life-style/books/features/rabindra-bharati-university-confers-d-litt-to-three/amp_articleshow/64090423.cms>
- Prafulla Roy to be honoured with Sunil Gangopadhyay Memorial Award
today
<https://m.timesofindia.com/entertainment/events/kolkata/prafulla-roy-to-be-honoured-with-sunil-gangopadhyay-memorial-award-today/amp_articleshow/63827064.cms>

NEXT STORY
Heritage lotus symbol stolen from Charles 'Hindoo' Stuart's tomb at South
Park Street Cemetery
<https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolkata/heritage-lotus-symbol-stolen-from-charles-hindoo-stuarts-tomb-at-south-park-street-cemetery/amp_articleshow/65078182.cms>
TOP TRENDS

- Narendra Modi
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/upas-phone-banking-led-to-underground-loot-of-banks-says-pm-modi/articleshow/65076797.cms>
- Rahul Gandhi speech
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/france-asks-to-protect-classified-info-on-very-sensitive-rafale-deal-after-rahuls-allegation/articleshow/65071698.cms>
- GST Rates
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/relief-for-consumers-govt-slashes-gst-rate-on-several-products/articleshow/65083872.cms>
- ITR Filing
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/income-tax-return-itr-filing-for-fy-2017-18-all-you-need-to-know/articleshow/65073165.cms>
- No Confidence motion
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/no-confidence-vote-nda-wins-325-126-with-aiadmk-backing-and-bjd-trs-abstentions/articleshow/65076420.cms>
- Hockey World Cup Live
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/hockey/womens-hockey-world-cup-2018-india-vs-england-live-score-updates/liveblog/65082390.cms>
- News <https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/headlines>
- SSC GD Notification
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/ssc-gd-notification-2018-released-apply-for-54953-posts/articleshow/65082364.cms>
- Rahul Gandhi
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/rahul-gandhi-gains-confidence-pm-modi-gets-a-hug/articleshow/65076562.cms>
- Maruti Suzuki Ciaz
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/rbi-to-issue-new-rs-100-notes-shortly-all-you-need-to-know/articleshow/65053946.cms>
- No trust motion
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/not-just-andhra-special-status-raise-other-issues-as-well-opposition-parties-to-tdp/articleshow/65056547..cms>
- Tamilrockers <https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/tamil-rockers>
- Narendra Modi
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/news/no-confidence-vote-pm-modi-calls-for-constructive-debate-no-disruption/videoshow/65063626.cms>
- No Trust Vote
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/news/motion-of-no-confidence-rahul-launches-scathing-attack-on-sitharaman-pm-narendra-modi/videoshow/65067153.cms>
- Rahul gandhi hug
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/news/motion-of-no-confidence-rahul-launches-scathing-attack-on-sitharaman-pm-narendra-modi/videoshow/65067153.cms>

ABOUT US <http://www.timesinternet.in/>| TERMS OF USE
<https://m.timesofindia.com/termsofuse.cms>
Copyright © 2018 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd.
All rights reserved.